Friday, August 7, 2009

The Superman Complex

There are powers beyond powers that lie within words. News headlines, erotic novels, hate letters, graffiti, the bible, religious texts, propaganda, poems, etc. Amazing what different arrangements and adjectives somehow stir up gratuitous amounts of emotion within us which cause us to act; fear-mongering points us to hate, eroticism to self-indulgence, tragedy to compassion, the bible to repentance. Our actions, now within the physical world, spur more troubles and circumstances which may create more conflict or victory: war, peace, love, marriage, divorce, murder. We always seem to tip over terrible dominoes.

I wonder if Jesus, in all his power and capability, ever feels like me in the midst of such things. I, in my finite wisdom and seemingly feeble faith, look at my scarred earth and receive the Superman complex: why can't I, or how can I, save everyone and make everything right? I wonder why, taking all the responsibility on to my shoulders and realizing it's weight, I've not been granted the power to set things right? The complex has a releasing to it: being granted all these powers, I can finally remedy everything! The only issue, really, is being everywhere at once. Timing becomes an issue, BUT! I can change hearts, end bickering, stop war, give infants their moths and children their vacant fathers; I can return unfaithful wives to their husbands and selfish men to their victimized spouses. Finally! I can right all the wrongs. This is a dream, of course, and only the Almighty has the power to overcome such things.

But what even more of a burden to the divine! It's terrible to think this spirit stands in our midst, full of hope and trembling joy to finally right the ailments afflicted on his creation, but looking at me, at his side, with sad eyes. He is a Superman bent on the fact that timing is everything. Then I let my gears turn within about the nature of Him. I get confused and wonder if my God is bound in by the words spoken and written of him. Do we dictate him with these words of ours? Is the solution we have being put to use as a tool for the problem? Does he wait for the prophecy's moment to shine so he can pull back the curtain and show the signs? Or he does he simply wait for something outside the realms and picket fences of our words? I wonder if he just waits for us to realize it all...

I leave my God standing in the street, just as sad as I: waiting. Moving and loving, yes, but still waiting. I thank Him tat I'm not the Superman for the world, but I don't envy him to the slightest degree. I welcome his movements and love to fill my life, and I'll wait with him. I will love and search and change the world where I can, due to the fact that I've been giving the ability to love, but I leave the restoration of all things to God. I do not envy God or strive to be Superman. For if I reached the goal of such a hero, I'm not sure my small heart and soul could hack it. I will love where I can, but only Jesus can wear this sad brow. Any other mortal man would surely die with such a thing to dress himself with.

No comments:

Post a Comment